Spectrum is currently the third most popular internet provider. If you’ve selected this internet service provider to provide you with the internet, then you need to read this post to learn more on how you can set up spectrum internet and Wi-Fi. First thing first, you need to buy your preferred Spectrum internet plan. When buying a specific plan, you’ll need to point out whether you wish to buy or rent the router and modem, and also whether you’ll require the technical support to undertake the installation on your behalf or you’ll do a self-installation. That said, let’s find out how all these processes go:
As we have stated above, you can choose between two installation options; Professional Installation and Self Installation. However, with professional installation, you’ll need to incur an extra charge for the installation process. But the one that we’ll delve into in this section is the self-install option that is usually cost-effective and easy. The good thing with this option is that it comes with a guide that is elaborate and you’ll be able to install or set up the Spectrum internet with ease. But before anything, you need to ensure that the Wi-Fi self-installation kit has everything that you need. After you receive the product that you order, you should open it and make sure that the below items are present:
- Spectrum Modem
- Spectrum Wi-Fi Router
- A detailed Guide/Instructional manual
- Ethernet Cable
- Coaxial Cable
- Router’s Power Cord
- Modem’s Power Cord
Setting Up Spectrum Internet & WiFI
After you’ve confirmed all the necessary items needed for the self-installation are available, you are now prepared to set up Spectrum internet. For you to set up your Spectrum internet, you’ll need to follow these three main steps:
#1. Connecting the Spectrum Modem
#2. Connecting the Wi-Fi Router onto the Modem
#3. Connecting a gadget to the Wi-Fi network
The steps are as easier as that. From there, we’ll need to take a look at each step-in detail one after the other. While doing this, you need to ensure that the room that you’re doing the connection comes with at least two power wall outlets around the connection point of the internet service provider. It is also advisable to ensure that you set up your Spectrum internet at the center of your house for uniform signal distribution. Plus, you should ensure that the self-install unit is kept away from home electronic appliances such as microwave ovens and stereo systems to prevent signal interference. Let’s get now into the steps:
You May Also Enjoy to Learn:
- The Best Internet Providers In Houston, TX
- How to Connect Computer to WiFi without Cable
- How to Get AT&T Hotspot for Free?
- How to Get WiFi at Home for Free
How to Connect the Spectrum Modem
- Link one end of the coaxial cable t the wall connection point of Spectrum internet and the other to the modem.
- Connect the power cord of the modem to the socket when the switch of the power supply is off
- Next, turn it on.
- You’ll need to wait between three to six minutes for the connection of the modem to be established.
How to connect the Wi-Fi router to the Modem
For you to connect the Spectrum Wi-Fi router to the Spectrum modem you require to follow these steps below:
- Connect the one end of the ethernet cable to the yellow port found on the Wi-Fi router and the other to the modem.
- With the power cable of the router, plug it into the socket and the other end to the router and switch the power on.
- Give it a few minutes for the Wi-Fi light on the Spectrum router to turn on. You should ensure that the power switch on the Spectrum router is kept in the on position. After the Wi-Fi light turns on, it will imply that a connection will have been established between the modem and the router.
How to connect a gadget to the Wi-Fi Network
Now that you’ve created a connection, it is now time to connect a device to the Wi-Fi network that you created. And to do this, you need to follow these simple steps:
- Check the Wi-Fi network connections that are available on the devices that you wish to connect; it may be a mobile device, pcs, tablets, etc.
- If you can see your Spectrum connection available, you need to select it. The Service Set Identifier (SSID) or the username of your connection can be located at the back section of the router. Then you are also required to enter the password of the network which also in most cases, can be picked at the back section of your router, or if not there, check on the label that usually comes with the self-install kit. You should look for it, they are all there.
- Sometimes the kit can come without being activated, and you should activate it by yourself, fortunately, you can activate it personally by visiting the Spectrum website: https://activate.spectrum.ent/. The website is basically created to accomplish the activation procedure of the spectrum internet service. If you still face additional problems in terms of making a connection due to activation issues, then you can easily call: 877.309.5869, and there you’ll talk to a representative from Spectrum that will help you to handle the activation process.
- If yours is already activated or you’ve activated from the step above, you should be connected, and good to go to enjoy internet services from Spectrum. In fact, you have a connection that is similar to any other Wi-Fi connection.
- Your device should let you know that the internet connection is successful and it is written “Connected.”
- And if you wish to connect any other device, you solely need the above steps, and you’re done.
What do you do when the self-install process doesn’t become successful?
Though going by the steps that we’ve highlighted above offers you positive outcomes, at times the connection may not work even when you follow all the instructions. And in such a case, you’ll need to contact Spectrum to be able to get further assistance to ensure that you get a connection as fast as possible. Basically, a professional will be sent to your place to know the issue. But just like we mentioned above, you’ll have to incur a fee. Some major areas that they’ll pay attention to includes:
- Some possible errors you might have done during your installation process.
- They’ll check the major cause of the problem for the installation process to fail.
- A fault with the wiring cables, modem, and Wi-Fi router.
And if they find out that the installation process failed because the equipment was faulty, then the company will offer you a free installation service right away.
What do you do if a Spectrum receiver is already connected to the wall outlet?
In other cases, you may find a spectrum receiver that is already connected to your home wall outlet. In such a case, aside from knowing how to simply install Spectrum Wi-Fi, you’ll need extra information to be in a position to use the connection to link both the modem and the receiver. Therefore, you’ll need to have a splitter that has two outputs and one input, and a short coaxial cable. After you get this equipment, here is a simple step that you need to follow to make the connection come true:
- Delink the coaxial cable from the socket
- With the short coaxial cable, connect one of its ends to the wall outlet
- Then the other end of the short coaxial cable you connect to the input of the splitter
- Now, for the coaxial cable that you earlier disconnected, connect it to the receiver to the other splitter outputs. You should ensure that the other section of the cable is linked to the receiver.
- Next, connect one end of the coaxial cable of the modem to the remaining output of the splitter while the other section to the spectrum modem.
- From there, your connection is successful and both your modem and receiver can now work using the same internet connection.
How can you change the Username & Password on your Spectrum Wi-Fi?
Usually, the Spectrum self-install kit comes with both a default SSID and password. And this is normally found behind the router. This will enable you to get started with the connection of your Spectrum Wi-Fi. Although the manufacturer often recommends that you maintain the username and password, for easier troubleshooting use, you have the ability to change. For security purposes, it is important to change the password and username as soon as you set up the Wi-Fi connection. For changing the username and password, follow the steps below:
- Get the IP address of your router; usually at the back of the router
- Open your internet browser and type this IP address into it
- A Spectrum login page will appear. Input your default login details as found at the back of your router
- Click the advance button in case you see it.
- A “Connectivity” menu will now be visible.
- Tap on the “Basic” section
- Now, you can enter a new network name in the SSID field
- Below the “Security Settings” input the password you wish to set.
- Re-enter the password in the field to confirm.
- Then tap “Apply” for the changes to be saved
- You can now access your Spectrum Wi-Fi with a new username and password.